At about noon, we arrived in Kingussie, a quaint and quite precious little town in the highlands of Scotland. We still had some time before checking into our hotel, so we went grocery shopping at our favorite European grocery store, the Co-operative. It was at this store that we discovered a little package of sausages called "Wee Willy Winkies". Needless to say, Zach and I got a good laugh from that, and it was referred to often for the rest of our trip.
We then went to the Scot House Hotel, where we had two nights' reservations. If you are ever in the highlands, you must stay in this town, and you must stay at this hotel. The staff is wonderful, and almost everything is plaid! Though we were still early, we were happily led up to our room, which was impeccably clean and very cozy. A little tired, I laid down for a nap, while my sweet husband walked down the road to do some laundry for us.Later that evening, Zach and I decided to freshen up and go out on the town. It turned out that the next town up was a little ski town. It seriously looked like downtown Frisco or something. I can't remember the name of that town, but it was there, at a pub called Mackenzie's, that we decided to stop for dinner. Again, the service was outstanding (gotta love those Scots), and the food was amazing. I had a lasagna and sticky toffee pudding (the best I've ever tried), while Zach had bangers and mash with a Guinness.
We ended up staying there several hours because they were having a jam session that night. Lots of people showed up to play, and they played many songs I recognized, including some I hadn't heard since the early 90's. As we listened, we also realized that there was a very important football game on the television there. Before long, I found myself getting caught up in the excitement and disappointment of my fellow patrons.As the night wore on, I realized that we should probably get on the road before some of the others. So, we headed back to our cozy hotel for a wonderful night's rest amongst the plaid. Here's a poor quality video:
I don't know why, but this is one of my favorite posts thus far. I can picture you two in this life, and it's a peaceful, happy picture that brings me joy :)
ReplyDelete