Monday, December 7, 2009

Day 12: Pam's Coffee Shop, the Cairngorms, Loch Ness, and Happy Days

For the first 11 days of our trip, we miraculously had experienced no rain. However, being the sensible people we are, we knew we couldn't expect such perfect weather for four straight weeks in some of the rainiest countries in the world. So, on day 12, the clouds came, and the rain fell. We were a little disappointed at first because the main activity we hoped to do there was to hike in the national park. However, we immediately decided that we weren't going to let bad attitudes overshadow the day. We were in Scotland, and by golly, we were going to soak it up (no pun intended).

When we first drove into town, I had noticed a little place called "Pam's Coffee Shop" and decided that we must go there because #1-It's a local coffee shop, and #2-It made me think of my friend, Pam. So, we went in for breakfast, secretly hoping that the rain would stop while we ate. I ordered an apricot scone and mint chocolate coffee, while Zach had a pancake and a cup of boring black coffee (If you ever order a pancake in Europe, keep in mind that that's exactly what you are going to get...one little pancake on a plate...period).

Being in Pam's Coffee Shop felt like something out of a movie because it seemed like we were just getting a peak into this other little world that is experienced by the residents of Kingussie (pronounced Kin-u-see, by the way) everyday. Two ladies ran the place, and there were 3 or 4 other little ladies from the town who apparently frequented the place to eat and visit with one another. They kept apologizing to Zach and me for their "loud" conversation, but I loved it because I could just imagine their lives in that quaint little town.

After grabbing some sandwich makings at the Co-op, we made our way toward the Cairngorms. On our way, we stopped at a parking lot to enjoy a beautiful view and noticed a white reindeer standing right before us! To be honest, I wasn't completely sure that reindeer even existed, but I took a picture, and it was later confirmed by a park ranger. Seeing the reindeer was one of those experiences which seemed so random, yet felt like such a gift.

We continued up the mountain and made it to our trailhead. It was still rainy and very cold at this point. We deliberated for a long time whether or not to hike, but finally decided that we both would give it a try. After about 40 minutes, it started getting really steep and pretty slick, so we decided to turn around. We had enjoyed some lovely views and had a good time with each other, so we weren't too disappointed not to make it to the top. Besides, we really weren't sure how far away the top was.Since this was Zach's first time in Scotland, he had decided that he really didn't want to leave without seeing Loch Ness. It was only a 45 minute drive from where we were staying, so we headed that way after our hike. We drove straight to the Urquhart Castle ruins, which are on Loch Ness, and explored the grounds. We got there just an hour before closing, so it was this comical experience of running from parts of the castle to the other, posing for timer shots, and taking pics for other tourists (by the end of the trip I was beginning to wonder if I had a sign on me somewhere that said, "I would be so happy to take your picture" in multiple languages).



Satisfied with our exploration (though there was no sight of Nessie), we went back to Kingussie for dinner. We decided on Happy Days Fish and Chips, where I got a hamburger, and Zach had a steak pie. You'd think we would have opted for fish and chips, but we weren't in the mood! This place was great except for the fact that you had to buy your own ketchup if you wanted any. Now, not everyone knows this about me, but I can put down a load of ketchup when eating fries. So, for me, whether or not to purchase ketchup wasn't a hard decision.



After dinner, we went back to our hotel and played Scrabble in the bar. It was fun to listen to the tipsy Scots tell their stories at the bar as we played. After I beat Zach (which doesn't happen often), we cozied up in our room and decided that, for a day that had the potential to be so disappointing, it ended up being one of the best days yet.

1 comment:

  1. I love how each day could be posted in a travel journal as a short story. You should seriously consider it... maybe you'd even make some money. :)

    ReplyDelete