Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Day 14: I Seriously Thought We'd Run Into Elizabeth Bennett at Any Point

There were so many trails in the Lake District from which to choose that one could find herself a little overwhelmed. So, we decided to consult the incredibly knowledgeable hostel manager (always a good idea), who recommended we go on a hike from Ambleside over the Loughrigg Fell (a fancy name for a little mountain) to Grasmere. Excited to have a general plan, we set out for the day's journey.

As we began our hike, Zach and I both expressed our gratitude for the ideal weather provided for us that day (rain would have been a serious downer). It's hard to describe the immense beauty of our hike, so I'll let the pictures do the talking. However, I will say that it felt very much like stepping into the world of Pride and Prejudice, so much so that I really thought I'd spot Elizabeth Bennett at any point. Here are some of my favorite shots:
It was in this lovely town, Grasmere, where Zach and I finally stopped for lunch a good three hours into our hike. We found a delightful little pastry shop and ordered some authentic Cornish pasties (pronounced past-ees), which consisted of a delicious pastry filled with potatoes, gravy, meat, and veggies. We seated ourselves on a little bench outside of the shop and began the process of inhaling our food.

As we ate, we noticed a little bird hiding under the parked car in front of us. I began dropping little crumbs on the ground, and the little bird quickly popped out and ate them. It became a little game between the two of us, and he seemed to start begging, in a birdie sort of way. I was quite amused by the whole thing.

Though we had originally planned to keep hiking around Grasmere, both Zach and I decided that we were very tired and ready to head back. So, we caught a bus back into Ambleside and bought groceries for dinner. We then headed back to our hostel, where we napped, cooked dinner, and relaxed after a hard day's hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment