We eventually made our way to Edinburgh Castle, where we enjoyed a wonderful tour (included in the ticket price) and spent 3 hours just wandering around the buildings. Zach and I were also fortunate enough to get to experience the daily one o'clock gun shooting, which kind of serves as an audible light house. Our tour guide had told us about this...other countries fire 12 shots at 12, but the Scottish like efficiency, so they shoot 1 at 1. I had forgotten this fact and was completely startled when this man...
shot this gun...

while this guy played bagpipes at 1 o'clock.

From the castle, we walked the Royal Mile and did a little shopping. I bought a cashmere scarf with my clan's (Buchanan) plaid, and we found one for Zach's mom as well. We spent most of our time in this store called Really Scottish. There was an excellent sales lady there who informed us that there were only 2 Scottish-owned souvenir shops in all of Edinburgh, and that the rest were actually owned by 2 Indian men. So, we decided we would give this store our business.

Zach had been toying with the idea of getting a kilt, but had talked himself out of it. However, after my and the sales lady's encouragement, he excitedly picked one out. I was very glad to see him do this because #1-He never buys anything for himself, and #2- I think kilts are extremely sexy. Content with our purchases, we moved on to the National Gallery.
It's hard to put into words the awe I felt as I walked around and saw original paintings done by Degas, Cezanne, Gaudin, Monet, Renoir, Turner, and many others. They had a gift of which I wish I possessed just a fraction. To be able to look at each painting and know that the brush strokes I saw were done by the original artist's hand was awe inspiring.
By the time we finished at the gallery, we had been walking for about 6 hours straight and had become very hungry. Earlier, we had noticed a sign for Edinburgh's 2009 pub of the year, so we figured we'd give it a try. It was called the Halfway House, and there was nothing apparently spectacular about its appearance. Actually, it was pretty tiny. Zach ordered a haddock pie with peas as well as a pint of something, and I had a ham and cheese panini. Both were pretty tasty and very satisfying in our hungry state.
With our stomachs full, it was hard to think of anything more appealing than lying down. So, we went back to the hotel and took a little nap. When we awoke, we, of course, were hungry again. The last time I was in Scotland, I had had the privilege of tasting this delightful little dessert called sticky toffee pudding. I noticed that our hotel restaurant served this treat, so Zach and I went down and ordered one for each of us (If you are ever in the UK, you must try this dessert!). With our hunger again satiated, we went back to bed, exhausted from a long and wonderful day in Edinburgh.
No comments:
Post a Comment