Thursday, September 22, 2011

What Lily is Teaching Me

Well, it's been a month since my little girl came into the world.  I expected the days of feeding, changing diapers, sleeping (or not) to drag on, but they have flown by.  People sometimes ask if she's a good baby.  I'm not sure how to answer that (no, she doesn't go to sleep on her own; no, she isn't content to be by herself), but, to me, she's the sweetest little being I've ever known. 

A couple of weeks ago, I was reading in a baby book about studies done to determine if pacifiers would satisfy a baby if she was hungry.  It turned out that they won't.  Though they may serve as a very temporary distraction, the baby will still cry until she is ultimately given what she really needs and craves- food.  This reminded me of the story about the woman at the well in John 4.  Jesus looks at this woman, a social outcast who's tried to satisfy her longings with a long line of men, and essentially tells her, "Choose me.  I'm the only one who can satisfy you."

Though there was a time in my life when satisfying the empty parts of me looked like trying to find a man, these days it looks more like checking off a list.  What can I do to be productive today?  How can I look better, be smarter?  How can I "serve" the Lord more?  Yes, sadly even my acts of service can be ways to look for satisfaction outside of Him.  

As the task of motherhood has left me with little space and energy for any of those things, I hope that, more and more, I can be like my daughter, and demand the only thing that will really satisfy the deep longings of my heart- Jesus Christ.   

No comments:

Post a Comment