Wednesday, March 3, 2010

I'm Right, You're Wrong

Observation #2: The "I'm right, you're wrong" control problem. I've been trying to give up control for Lent, and this is the second way I've noticed myself being controlling. The other day, my husband was expressing his opinion about something. Instead of hearing him out, I immediately started building a case in my head about why he was wrong.

As he continued talking, I noticed this pressure welling up in my chest coupled with extreme defensiveness. Now, it must be stated that the subject we were discussing was nothing noble or personal. It was wedding receptions.

My typical reaction in these moments is just to say something snappy if he doesn't agree with me and walk out of the room (very mature). However, in this moment, I could clearly sense the Holy Spirit saying, "Let it go." In reality, the Spirit probably whispers this often, I just happened to be listening this time.

Anyway, I fought my urge to be stupid, and continued the conversation by asking Zach more about his thoughts. He was very surprised by my atypical reaction, and I was relieved that I didn't turn a simple conversation into an "ordeal."

All that to say, it's tempting to (try to) exercise control by not allowing or respecting others' opinions when they are not my own, even if the subject is as trivial as wedding receptions.

2 comments:

  1. great post ann victoria. i'm going to be thinking about that. and hopefully practicing it! thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sister, I know all about that. incredible how defensive I get when someone disagrees with me, even if it isn't an absolute issue, but just one of preference. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete