Monday, March 9, 2009

Yesterday, at church, a friend of mine asked me how I was doing. I immediately responded with the expected, "Good!", then after a slight pause realized that that probably wasn't completely true. So, I followed it up with a weak "I think," because, to tell you the truth, at that moment, I really didn't know how I was. My body and mind had been racing for the past several weeks, and they'd left my heart somewhere behind.

Zach went to a meeting tonight. Although I prefer to spend my evenings with him, it gave me good time to be still, be quiet, and connect with the Keeper of my heart, my Jesus. I knew He'd been calling my name today when I read a newsletter from John Eldredge and became teary-eyed when he began to talk about how these past few months have been rough for him. Boy, can I relate. Yet, I don't say that with the desire that the focus be on me. I simply want to admit that I've been tempted to fold under the pressure of life lately. Today, I was greatly encouraged by these words, which refer to Luke 22:40 (when Jesus and his disciples are in the Garden and he tells them to pray against falling into temptation):

What a strange time to be warning his disciples about temptation. Or is it? What temptation does Jesus know comes at a time like this? Well- what are you tempted to fall to when times turn dark, when crisis hits, when God seems to have failed to come through? Isn't the temptation to fall into despair? Or distress? To start thinking terrible thoughts? To give way to fear, and doubt, and unbelief? Have you ever even put those things in the category of temptation? As in, Do not yield to this sin?...I see the damage my unbelief does- to my own heart, my perspective, to my relationship with God. Do not give way to this, Jesus says. Watch, and pray. Guard yourself against this turn. So I must come back to his goodness. To the personality of the man I see in these stories, and his power. He is incredibly kind, and faithful; he is generous and playful; and yes, he is powerful. This is where my faith must lie. This is his "glory," and like the disciples this is what I must put my faith in...Watch and pray; do not yield to thinking what is not true about God. Catch yourselves.

My heart was deeply uplifted and challenged by these words. Which brings me to my next point-the truth about God. There's this little section at the end of my Bible called "Bible helps". I'm sure you've got one too or at least seen something like it. It's got a list of all the parables, miracles of Jesus, where to look when you feel...fill in the blank, etc. I don't know about you, but I hardly ever peruse the section. However, tonight I did.

There's one page that says "Concerning Prayer" in big, bold letters. It's just a bunch of passages (19 to be exact) on this one page. Here are some that stood out to me:

You will pray to him, and he will hear you, and you will fulfill your vows. -Job 22:27

Before they call I will answer; while they are still speaking I will hear. -Is 65:24

If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer. -Mt 21:22

Again I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. -Mt 18:19

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. -Mt 7:7

The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. He fulfills the desires of those who fear him; he hears their cry and saves them. -Ps 145:18-19

Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. -Heb 4:16

For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer... -1Peter 3:12

...And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. -James 5:13

This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us-whatever we ask-we know that we have what we asked of him. -1John 5:14

Now, I'm sure one could spend hours picking these verses apart. Yet, my intention is point out just one thing: Do these verses not beautifully illustrate a picture of a loving Heavenly Father who is eager to not only listen to but come to the aid of his beloved children? I mean, we could ask a lot of questions about when and how those verses apply, but can you at least see his eager love and faithfulness jumping out at us, calling our names? Again, my eyes filled with tears as I read these verses tonight.

In I Kings, Solomon prays "...And may these words of mine, which I have prayed before the LORD, be near to the LORD our God day and night, that he may uphold the cause of his servant and the cause of his people Israel according to each day's need..." I yearn for that kind of confidence in the LORD's care for me- to know that he not only hears my cries, but that, because of Christ, they may be near to him day and night.

Father, may we not fall into temptation. Instead, may we know the truth about you and fight for that truth in our own lives as well as one another's. May we take up our armor that we may stand firm against the devil's schemes. And may we walk in your grace and victory, knowing that you have already won. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment