Sunday, February 15, 2009

Spilled Oil

So, for some time now, one of my dear friends has encouraged me to start a blog. And, for some time now, I've thought,"First of all, what would I say? And second of all, who would care to read it?" Now, I don't mean this in a self-demeaning way as though my thoughts hold no value in the lives of others. I just couldn't imagine having them out there, on the world-wide-web for all (or a selected group) to see, and for those people to take time out of their already busy lives to read it. Even as I type, the thought is giving me knots in my stomach. However, I think this is a good segue into why I chose the title I did.




In the past month or so, I have experienced quite a bit of brokenness before the Lord. I try to make things work, and they don't. I try to go this way, and there's a roadblock. I hear Him say, "Stop, be still, rest in me." Then I find myself saying, "No, Lord, let me try this other way; I think it might work" only to find myself farther into the downward spiral of independence from Him. Yet, He is so patient with me in allowing me to come to the end of myself, when I can finally say, "Okay, Father, I can't do it. It's gotta be your strength that's going to get me through."


It is in these times of brokenness in life that I notice the sweetest aroma being offered up from my heart. An aroma of me getting out of the way so that the Spirit can flow through me. Now, this brings to mind all sorts of images (being a poured out offering, the woman who anointed Jesus' feet with oil). All of those are beautiful, but it would take too long to write about what those mean to me. I guess what I'm trying to get to (albeit somewhat ungracefully) is that while it is therapeutic for me to write about life in honesty and authenticity, my hope is that it would be a pleasing aroma to others. Hence, the title Aromatherapy as Therapeuticaroma just didn't seem to roll off the tongue as well.


Zach and I have been reading Walking With God by John Eldredge, and in it was this quote from Frederick Buechner:


There is something more than a little disconcerting about writing your autobiography...As if anybody cares or should care...But I do it anyway. I do it because it seems to me that no matter who you are, and no matter how eloquent or otherwise, if you tell your own story with sufficient candor and concreteness, it will be an interesting story and in some sense a universal story...If God speaks to us at all other than through such official channels as the Bible and the church, then I think that he speaks to us largely through what happens to us, so what I have done in this book...is to listen back over what has happened to me-as I hope my readers may be moved to listen back over what has happened to them-for the sound, above all else of his voice...[For] his word to us is both recoverable and precious beyond telling. (Now and Then)

So, while I may be writing about my life and experiences, my hope is that, by what you read here, you may be encouraged to stop and listen a little more closely to that still, small, beautiful voice of God in your life. And though His word to us is "precious beyond telling", I hope we will never stop telling!

No comments:

Post a Comment